Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Closure... Almost.

So for AGES (really, since I finished writing Caen's story Upon Earth's Opening) I've been trying to wrap up her tale. The way that I finished her story (in case you don't remember) was very sudden and there were a lot of loose ends. In the interest of finishing the story and not dragging out the end, I got the idea to write some kind of one-shot sequel in order to wrap everything up. So, Earth's Final Closure was born.

I've been writing it for about two years, and while it's not very long (It is nearing 20 pages), it's taken a while to get things right. I wanted to mix flashbacks with Caen's present. Flashbacks of, say, her arrival in Valinor, her last moments with Arwen, and even a fight with Legolas. All the while, she is getting ready for and marrying Legolas. It's a pretty straightforward story, I just have found it hard to push through for several reasons:

In the time that has elapsed since I finished publishing UEO, I have written another story (Elfaer's story, Never Realizing) and began working on an entirely new trilogy, (which I have yet to name). So in the two or so years that it has taken me to write this, I kind of feel like I have lost touch with the characters.

I have found that as I mature, my idea of Legolas changes - the quirks of his personality are different, his eye color (I need to create some kind of chart or cheat sheet for myself, because I can't seem to choose one!), his weaknesses... they always change for me. The Legolas that I was writing about then was a very different one from the Legolas that I am writing about now. That Legolas is, well, history to me. So going back in time four years to recapture what it was that I found appealing to me then has been difficult to say the least.

I am almost finished! I wrote a lot over the weekend, and I really only have one or two more hurdles/major scenes left. That being said, I have a few goals.

By the end of the year, I think I will want to have posted three things:
1) EFC (Duh.) I am giving myself a July 2010 deadline.
2) A prequel to my newest series, which will detail my main character's relationship with her husband before the series begins. This will have a November 2010 deadline.
3) Another Guardians of Time one-shot. My first one was so successful that I have been wanting to write another one for a while now. This one will also be about Arkarian and Isabel, just of a very different nature! I am giving myself a July 2010 deadline on this one, too.

By the end of this year, I hope to be finished writing the first new story, Lin's story. I promise I will write more about this soon. I want to be completely finished with the trilogy by the end of 2012. I know this seems like a long time, but trust me. It took me 3 years to write Not Knowing, 2 to write Upon Earth's Opening, and 1 to write Never Realizing. I will give myself about a year to write each story. This is totally doable!

No comments:

Post a Comment