Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chapter 13 vs Chapter 1

I've just done a little skipping ahead, and have written the last chapter of The Shift and the first chapter of The Battle. I have had it planned this way since the beginning of this project, and so ages ago (last July?), I scripted the confrontation scene (primarily the dialogue) between Lin and Legolas. It's a crucial scene, and it is important for the reader to witness both points of view.

I hope they are different enough, and as there should be quite a gap between posting the two chapters, I hope readers don't get bored or anything. Tomorrow I think I will share it with someone and see their reaction.

Although it might be clear in my head, here are two excerpts from the chapter, just so y'all know what I am talking about!

From Chapter 13 of The Shift:
“What are you doing?” I asked, knowing that a confrontation was coming. There had been several of them over the years, but I had to be clear to him that this was the last warning I would give. I did not think I had anything else left in me to fight for him after this.

From Chapter 1 of The Battle:
“What are you doing?” she asked, and I could hear the weariness in her voice. It was the same question she had asked over and over, thousands if not millions of times throughout my lifetime.

I am so happy with the way that this scene came out! It was exactly how I wanted it to be, and while it's not the exact vision of what I had in the beginning (some three odd years ago) they never turn out to be exactly what I first envisioned.

I finished chapter 11 (I think? It's kind of short. We shall see) and I don't yet know how to tackle chapter 12, so that is why I wrote chapter 13 tonight. That said, it is now 1am and I am le tired! More tomorrow, I suppose?

No comments:

Post a Comment