Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recovering

Hoo boy, wow. Last night, I typed up the rest of chapter 9 and all of chapter 10, as well as a one-shot for the April challenge thing that Ally and I are doing, AND I rewrote something which I definitely want to include somewhere in the story, but was originally the prologue for my first draft. 6514 words went down last night. (I finally passed out around 2am.) Who knew typing things was so exhausting?

I think it had something to do with the editing I was doing simultaneously. Of course, the first draft of anything is never the best, so I was rearranging, rewriting, and striking things while I was typing... It requires a lot of brain power, I guess.

A goal of mine for this story is to write chapters that are somewhere around 5 pages long (around 2500 words). I've been going through a brief spat of writing much shorter chapters the last few years (Never Realizing and Upon Earth's Opening averaged 1100 and 1300 words per chapter, respectively).

I feel like 5 pages is a solid chapter, without been too short or too long. Siobhan would disagree with me, as she will throw chapters at me that are roughly the same length as some one shots I've done. (15-20 pages). When the time comes to edit her monster of a story (soon? Hopefully soon?) I will need to really buckle down and devote hours to it.

Chapter 10 is 9 pages long. I have no idea how it happened, it all just fell out of me over the last three weeks. It's 3700 words long right now, before Siobhan even gets to attack it with any of her various and sundry revisions, and so I am thinking of breaking it into two. There is a good mid-point to the chapter, in any case.

That is enough for tonight's update, I think. I have come to a little bit of a stump in the next chapter (11? 12?) and I'm not entirely sure how to get over it yet. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment